1:06 PM: A San Francisco Superior Court jury today found a man guilty of more than two-dozen charges stemming from a series of grisly sexual assaults along the city’s 24th Street corridor last year.
Frederick Dozier, 33, was convicted of 25 of the 26 charges he faced for the attacks on three women between June and December 2011.
The jury acquitted Dozier of attempting to murder one of the victims but found him guilty of kidnapping, robbing and sexually assaulting all three.
Among the charges he was convicted of were kidnapping with the intent to commit a sexual offense, sexual assault with the intent to commit rape, attempted rape and oral copulation by force.
Dozier faces life in prison when he is sentenced on Dec. 14.
“This is someone that does not belong on our streets,” District Attorney George Gascon said after the verdict was read. “Frankly, he’s an animal.”
In each case, Dozier attacked the victim from behind during the early morning hours and pulled her to a secluded area where he sexually assaulted and robbed her.
Each of the victims testified during the trial, which started last month. Prosecutors showed jurors graphic photos of their injuries as well as taped interviews with police inspectors in which Dozier admitted to the crimes.
Gascon thanked the victims, who he said were “heroic in the way they handled a very difficult incident.”
The district attorney also thanked community members, who collaborated with police and ultimately helped lead to Dozier’s arrest on Jan. 6.
Charles Moser and other members of the Fair Oaks Community Coalition put fliers up around the neighborhood with a sketch of the suspect, and held a community meeting about the case that was attended by about 300 people.
“We were shocked and horrified,” Moser said. “We’re glad that this has come to a conclusion.”
The group ended up raising more than $16,000 for the victims, and is still accepting money to help them. People wishing to donate can send money to the 24th Street Survivor Fund c/o Sterling Bank, 3800 24th St., San Francisco, 94132.
Deputy Public Defender Greg Goldman, who represented Dozier, was not immediately available for comment this afternoon but had argued during the trial that there was not enough evidence to prove his client’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
Members of Dozier’s family declined to speak to reporters outside the courtroom following the verdict.
Dozier was employed as a part-time nutrition services worker with San Francisco Unified School District and also worked for Green Streets, a janitorial services company that operates at low-income housing complexes.
11:35 AM: A jury today found a man guilty of more than two-dozen charges stemming from a series of grisly sexual assaults along San Francisco’s 24th Street corridor last year.
Frederick Dozier, 32, was convicted of 25 of the 26 charges he faced for the attacks on three women between June and December 2011.
The jury declined to convict Dozier of attempted murder, but found him guilty of kidnapping with the intent to commit a sexual offense, sexual assault with the intent to commit rape, attempted rape, oral copulation by force, and other crimes.
Dan McMenamin, Bay City News