policeblotter_sfa.jpg2:04 PM: A 26-year-old man was arrested after allegedly stabbing another man in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood on Monday night during a dispute over a missing cellphone, a police spokesman said today.

Jose Rodriguez was arrested after officers responded to the 800 block of Ellis Street at 9:52 p.m. Monday and found a 19-year-old man who had been stabbed in the torso and arm, police spokesman Sgt. Daryl Fong said.

The victim was taken to San Francisco General Hospital to be treated for his injuries, which were considered life-threatening, Fong said.

The victim told police he was invited to Rodriguez’s home in the 600 block of Eddy Street, where the pair then “engaged in some sort of discussion over doing drugs,” Fong said.

The victim said he told Rodriguez he was not interested in doing drugs, and then, as he was about to leave, Rodriguez accused him of stealing his phone, according to Fong.

Although the victim insisted he did not steal the phone, Rodriguez allegedly followed him out of the apartment punched him from behind, then stabbed him, the victim told police.
The victim was able to flee to the 800 block of Ellis Street, where someone called police to report the stabbing, he said.

After speaking to the victim, officers went to the apartment where the altercation had occurred and arrested Rodriguez on suspicion of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon, Fong said.

10:51 AM: A man was critically injured in a stabbing at an apartment in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood on Monday night, police said.

The stabbing was reported at 9:53 p.m. in the 600 block of Eddy Street, which is near Larkin Street.

The 19-year-old victim met with the suspect on the street and the pair went to the suspect’s apartment, according to police.

When they arrived there, the suspect accused the victim of stealing his cellphone and a fight ensued, during which the victim was stabbed twice, police said.

The victim ran two blocks, to the 800 block of Eddy Street, where a local merchant called police.

He was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with stab wounds to his torso and arm. His injuries are considered life-threatening, police said.

Officers later located the suspect, a 26-year-old man, and took him into custody. His name was not immediately available, police said.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!