5:02 AM: Firefighters have extinguished a two-alarm blaze that burned two homes just a few blocks from San Francisco’s Castro District this morning, a fire dispatcher told Kristen Peters of Bay City News.
The fire was reported just after 3 a.m. at 1370 Clayton St., according to a fire dispatcher. According to KTVU broadcast, the fire then ” quickly spread” to a neighboring building.
The flames were under control as of 3:43 a.m., the dispatcher said.
At least six residents were evacuated from the house, but the dispatcher said that no injuries had been reported.
The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire.
A damage estimate was not yet available, a fire dispatcher said.
SF Fire Department told KTVU broadcast that it’s “too early to tell” if this fire is connected to the recent spate of suspicious fires that plagued the Castro last week, but SFPD and arson investigators are on scene.
9:33 AM: According to KRON broadcast, the fire is not connected to the Castro fires.
SFFD investigators have determined, KRON reports, that the fire was a “spontaneous combustion” fire, caused when varnish-covered rags left behind after finishing the building’s deck combusted, causing the blaze.
“It’s not unusual” a SFFD spokesperson tells KRON, for fires to start in this fashion when people are doing work on their homes.
2:08 PM: Bay City News’ Caitilin McAdoo has uncovered some more details from this morning’s fire which, she reports, broke out in a two-unit residential building at 390 and 392 Corbett Ave. and spread to a home at 1370 Clayton St.
Sixty-four firefighters, BCN reports, attended to the blaze, which was controlled by 4:11 this morning.
The fire caused about $405,000 in damage to the two buildings, according to preliminary estimates from the fire department.