A 20-year-old Richmond man accused in the fatal shooting of another man outside a San Francisco nightclub earlier this month pleaded not guilty to murder this morning in San Francisco Superior Court.
Keandre Davis, who was himself shot twice by a patrol special officer outside the nightclub, appeared in court in a wheelchair. His arraignment had been previously been postponed twice while he recovered in the hospital.
Davis pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, assault with a semiautomatic firearm and negligent discharge of a firearm. He also denied an allegation that the murder was committed with a firearm.
A judge ordered him held on $10 million bail.
Davis is alleged to have shot and killed Lawon Marshawn Hall, 19, also of Richmond, at about 1:40 a.m. on Feb. 7 outside Suede nightclub near Fisherman’s Wharf.
Three other men were also shot and injured; a second suspected gunman, William Josefa Agbekoh, 25, is now in custody in Contra Costa County on an unrelated charge and has not been charged with the San Francisco shootings.
Police believe the shootings may have been precipitated by an argument inside the club that spilled out onto the street, where a crowd had gathered. A total of 44 bullet casings were recovered. An investigation into the exact cause of the shooting is still ongoing.
The club, which city officials have alleged has been the scene of prior violence, has since agreed to a 30-day closure.
Davis’ attorney Steve Olmo said after this morning’s hearing that his client was innocent.
“I believe he’ll be vindicated with the presentation of evidence,” Olmo said, though he acknowledged that he has yet to receive most of the discovery evidence from prosecutors.
Police have said that both Davis and Hall were members of rival Richmond gangs, but prosecutors have not filed gang charges in the case.
“Not one single piece of paper suggests that he’s a gang member,” Olmo insisted of his client.
Davis is scheduled to return to court March 23.