A man suffered burns during a hash oil explosion in a homeless encampment in San Francisco’s Potrero Hill neighborhood on Sunday morning, police said.
The explosion occurred around 10:30 a.m. Sunday at the encampment located beneath a highway overpass near the intersection of San Bruno Avenue and Alameda Street, according to police.
Based on the initial police investigation, it appears that a man in his 40s was attempting to cook hash oil in the encampment when a fire ignited and an explosion occurred.
The man suffered burns to his chest and hands. He was transported to a hospital and treated for injuries not considered life-threatening.
Hash oil explosions have been reported in cities around the Bay Area recently, including one in Walnut Creek on Oct. 31 that severely injured two people and left a multi-unit apartment building uninhabitable.
Fire officials say butane is used to prepare hash oil and that there are minimal restrictions on the sale of the flammable gas.
Hannah Albarazi, Bay City News