Firefighter Injured Tuesday While Trying To Manage Smoky Situation At Andronico’s

A firefighter suffered minor injuries after a refrigerator with an overheated compressor sent smoke into a grocery store in San Francisco’s Sunset District on Tuesday afternoon, according to a fire spokeswoman.

A report of smoke came in at 4:35 p.m. to fire officials at Andronico’s Market, located at 1200 Irving St.

A store manager said shoppers and workers got out of the building on their own when it became smoky in the store.

The store was evacuated for about 45 minutes, the manager said.

Operations are back to normal this morning.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury while responding to the fire and was taken to a hospital, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

No other injuries were reported.

The smoke was caused by a refrigerator that had overheated and a compressor blew out, Talmadge said.

There was minor damage to the building but no fire, she said.

Sasha Lekach, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!