San Francisco police are continuing to investigate a case involving numerous poisonous meatballs found on city streets recently.
Police warned dog owners in the city’s Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights neighborhoods about the meatballs last week, and now say hundreds have been recovered.
The meatballs, which investigators said contained rodent poison, had been deliberately placed in spots where dogs defecate in the area of Crestline, Burnett and Parkridge drives, according to police.
One dog gobbled up a meatball last Wednesday evening while being walked by its owner, then became sick and had to be taken to a veterinarian, police said.
Anyone who sees anything resembling the meatballs should call the Police Department’s non-emergency number at (415) 553-0123. Anyone who witnesses suspicious activity is asked to call 911.
Police also advised residents in those neighborhoods who have been involved in disputes over pets to call the Park Station investigations team at (415) 242-3000 and ask to speak with Lt. Pengel or Inspector Nannery.