Tuesday’s Tenderloin Fire Caused By Errant Barbecue

A two-alarm fire that burned on the roof deck of a Tenderloin apartment building on Tuesday evening was caused by a barbecue that got knocked over, a San Francisco Fire Department spokeswoman said today.

The blaze was reported at 5:14 p.m. Tuesday at 519 Ellis St., where heavy smoke was coming from the roof, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire by about 5:30 p.m. with no injuries reported, Talmadge said.

Talmadge said the heavy amount of smoke was from when the barbecue got knocked over and tar on the roof deck began burning.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to the building’s structure and about $5,000 to other property, she said.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!
  • mailorders

    Is it even legal to barbecue on a roof like that? I ask because the tenant on the top floor of my building is a willful wild-child who does what he wants.

  • mailorders

    Is it even legal to barbecue on a roof like that? I ask because the tenant on the top floor of my building is a willful wild-child who does what he wants.

  • sfsoma

    Most likely a psychiatric patient now with rep as fire setter and unplaceable anywhere in the Bay area. Destined for the streets and shelters or prison.

  • sfsoma

    Most likely a psychiatric patient now with rep as fire setter and unplaceable anywhere in the Bay area. Destined for the streets and shelters or prison.