Richmond District Fire Caused By Faulty Pot Grow Equipment

A fire at a home in San Francisco’s Outer Richmond neighborhood early Monday morning was caused by a malfunction in equipment being used for a marijuana grow there, a fire department spokeswoman said today.

Firefighters responded to a single-family home in the 500 block of 35th Avenue at about 12:30 a.m. and arrived to see smoke coming from the building, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

The fire was burning in the home’s garage, which housed a marijuana grow operation that consisted of several immature pot plants, Talmadge said.

Crews put out the blaze at 1:28 a.m. after it caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to the building and destroyed $25,000 in contents, Talmadge said.

The home was vacant, she said.

Police are investigating the details of the marijuana grow operation.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!