One Market Restaurant Evacuated After Chemical Spill

A restaurant in downtown San Francisco was evacuated this afternoon because of a chemical spill, a fire department spokeswoman said.

The fire department responded to the One Market Street Restaurant, located at the foot of Market Street, at 2:15 p.m., spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

Spilled hydrogen chloride was found in a bathroom at the establishment, and two people were suffering from medical symptoms, Talmadge said.

The pair affected were employees who had been cleaning the restroom, and they were transported to a hospital, she said.

Those who were evacuated were allowed to return to the restaurant shortly before 3 p.m. when the situation was deemed safe, Talmadge said.

Jamey Padojino, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!