While police initially arrested a father and his son on suspicion of killing a man in the Potrero Terrace public housing complex in San Francisco’s Potrero Hill neighborhood last month, neither father nor son are being charged with murder, according to a district attorney’s office spokesman.
San Francisco residents Carneil Hickman-Butler, 25, and his father Jabar Hickman, 42, were arrested in connection with the homicide of 33-year-old San Francisco resident Prince Johnson shortly after Johnson’s death on June 29, but as of Tuesday, neither has been charged with murder, according to San Francisco District Attorney’s Office spokesman Max Szabo.
San Francisco police spokeswoman Officer Grace Gatpandan said both men were initially arrested on suspicion of the killing.
Hickman, however, has been charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and his bail was set at $150,000. His preliminary hearing is set for July 16, according to Szabo.
Hickman-Butler, the son, is not facing any charges pending further investigation, Szabo said.
On June 29, the day of the homicide, Johnson was found bleeding on the ground in the 1000 block of Connecticut Street at about 12:50 p.m., according to police.
Johnson suffered a gunshot wound to his shoulder and was transported to San Francisco General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
The suspects were taken into custody shortly thereafter, according to Gatpandan.
A second homicide occurred on that same block five days later, at about 11:20 p.m. on July 4, according to police.
Jamar Samuel, 26, was found lying face down and suffering from at least one gunshot wound, according to police.
He was unconscious and not breathing and soon died of his injuries, police said.
The motive in both of the homicides remains under investigation.
Hannah Albarazi, Bay City News