Firefighter Suffers Head Injury After Falling Down in North Beach Restaurant Fire

A firefighter was injured at the scene of a restaurant fire in San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood this afternoon, according to fire officials.

The incident was reported at 2:42 p.m. in a restaurant located in a mixed-use building at 1416 Powell St., San Francisco fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge.

The firefighter lost consciousness, fell down and hit his head, according to Talmadge.

He was transported to a hospital for medical treatment, she said.

An update on his condition was not immediately available this afternoon.

Initial reports indicated that the kitchen’s flue had been the source of the fire, but those reports were later updated to show that the fire was caused by a steam generator, according to Talmadge.

“It was in the flue, but the cause was from a steam generator,” Talmadge said.

The fire was contained at 3:10 p.m. Damage estimates were not immediately available this afternoon, according to Talmadge.

Dave Brooksher, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!