No Hazardous Materials Detected at Fisherman’s Wharf Restaurant

The San Francisco Fire Department evacuated a popular Fisherman’s Wharf restaurant this morning after reports that a possible hazardous materials situation was causing customers to cough.

The incident was reported at 10:21 a.m. at Bistro Boudin, 160 Jefferson St., according to the fire department.

Investigators discovered that someone had been working on a refrigeration unit inside the restaurant, and that chemicals used in the refrigeration unit might be to blame. But that’s not the only theory that emerged.

“They started suspecting that there might have been some pepper spray emitted in the establishment somehow, based on the symptoms people were having,” San Francisco Fire Department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

The Combustible Gas Indicators, monitors used to determine whether or not flammable or poisonous gasses are in the air, did not yield any verifiable results.

“Everything was clear,” Talmadge said. “I believe there were two or three floors on this building but they swept all the floors and didn’t pick anything up.”

Roughly 20 people were evaluated on scene, but none of them were transported to the hospital. Firefighters cleared the scene at 11:09 a.m.

Bistro Boudin could not be reached for comment.

Dave Brooksher, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!