SFFD Quickly Controls Small Fire in Basement of Women’s Shelter

Firefighters quickly controlled a small fire at a women’s homeless shelter in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood this afternoon that started in a clothes dryer, a fire spokeswoman said.

The fire was reported shortly before 2:30 p.m. at 1049 Howard St., fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

The “A Woman’s Place” homeless shelter is listed at that address.

Light smoke was showing inside the building when firefighters arrived and the building’s sprinkler system was set off.

The fire started in a clothes dryer in the building’s basement and was quickly controlled, Talmadge said.

Scott Morris, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!