Workers are being allowed back inside an office tower in San Francisco’s Financial District this afternoon after an overheated elevator motor sent light smoke into the building’s 29th floor and prompted evacuations, a fire department spokeswoman said.
A fire alarm sounded and crews were called to the Shell Building at 100 Bush St. around 11:15 a.m., San Francisco fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
The building was evacuated as firefighters investigated the source of the smoke, which was determined to be the overheated elevator motor.
The evacuation order was lifted as of 12:30 p.m., according to Talmadge.
Bay City News