10:08 AM: A two-alarm fire that injured two people in a high-rise building at San Francisco’s Parkmerced apartment complex early this morning appears to have been accidentally sparked by a cigarette smoker, a fire department spokeswoman said.
The fire, reported at 12:22 a.m. in a sixth-floor apartment on Cambon Drive, was caused by a smoker who was too close to an oxygen tank, San Francisco fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
The flames spread through the apartment but firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze by 12:50 a.m.
The two occupants of the unit were taken to a hospital, according to Talmadge. She said both victims were conscious and alert, but she did not immediately have an update on their condition this morning.
The fire caused an estimated $40,000 in damage to the building and $100,000 in damage to its contents, Talmadge said.
The building has been deemed safe and all other occupants have been allowed to return home, she said.
Parkmerced officials were not immediately available this morning to comment on the blaze.
Dan McMenamin, Bay City News
1:15 AM: Two people were injured in a blaze in a sixth-floor San Francisco apartment near San Francisco State University that firefighters have now placed under control this morning, a dispatcher said.
Crews responded to a report of a fire at an apartment building at 12:22 a.m. in the first block of Cambon Drive, the dispatcher said.
The fire had reached a second alarm response but crews were able to put the fire out at about 12:50 a.m., according to the dispatcher.
The dispatcher said two people were transported to a hospital for injuries suffered in the blaze but did not say their conditions.
Residents in floors above the fire were advised to shelter in place while residents in the sixth-floor units were evacuated as crews battled the fire.
Further details were not immediately available.