Couple Who Allegedly Fled From Cops Following Drive-By With Toddler In The Car To Face Mountain Of Felony Charges

A man and woman accused of participating in a drive-by shooting in San Francisco and then fleeing from police with a 2-year-old child in the backseat made their initial appearance in court today to face several felony charges, prosecutors said.

Jose Granados, 24, and Karen Garcia-Flores, 23, were arraigned in San Francisco Superior Court this afternoon.

Granados has been charged with attempted murder, discharge of a firearm at an occupied vehicle, assault, weapons violations, evading police and child endangerment, while Garcia-Flores was charged with child endangerment as well as giving false information to police, district attorney’s office spokesman Alex Bastian said.

The pair did not enter a plea and will return to court on Monday, Bastian said.

According to police, officers responded at about 9:50 p.m. Monday to reports of shots fired near Gilman Avenue and Jennings Street and found out a short time later that a shooting victim had arrived at San Francisco General Hospital with a gunshot wound to his leg.

The victim was a passenger in a car driven by his friend when Granados pulled up and allegedly fired at them from his vehicle, according to police.

The suspect then drove off, but the vehicle was spotted soon afterward near Trumbull and Maynard streets and a pursuit ensued, police said.

During the pursuit, a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol was allegedly thrown out the window by the suspect, who ran several stop signs, got onto northbound U.S. Highway 101 and then cut across all lanes to continue onto northbound Interstate Highway 280, police said.

The pursuit finally ended on Highway 280 just north of Cesar Chavez Boulevard when the car stopped and Granados and Garcia-Flores were taken into custody, according to police.

A 2-year-old child of Garcia-Flores’ was found in the backseat. The toddler was taken to the hospital for a medical evaluation and was found to be uninjured, police said.

The child was then placed in the custody of Child Protective Services, according to police.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!