Bay Area Bike Share Logs 100,000th Trip

Bay Area Bike Share has logged more than 100,000 trips made by people using its bikes in the first four months of the pilot program, a spokesman for the Bay Area Air Quality Management District said today.

The 100,000 trips were made between Aug. 29, when the program started, and Dec. 29. The cities participating so far are San Francisco, Redwood City, San Jose, Mountain View and Palo Alto, air district spokesman Tom Flannigan said.

When the program began, there were 700 of the seven-speed bikes available at 70 kiosks scattered throughout the participating cities.

By the end of this year, the number of bicycle stations in those cities will expand to 100, and there will be a total of 1,000 bikes in the system, Flannigan said.

The bikes are intended for short trips of 30 minutes or less. A daily pass costs $9 and allows the user to make unlimited short trips on the bike. If the bike usage exceeds 30 minutes, the user is charged a $4 fee. Three-day passes cost $22, and an annual membership costs $88.

The $11.2 million project is a partnership between the air quality district, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Caltrain, SamTrans, the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, San Mateo County, San Francisco and Redwood City.

Jeff Burbank, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!
  • baklazhan

    Meanwhile, NYC’s got a million per month in its first months of operation. Yes, they had 6000 bikes, but that’s still four-and-a-half times more popular per bike–a massive difference.

    One of the main problems here, of course, is the way the bikes are spread out in separated areas.

    Looking at the “system data” on the BABS website, you can see that SF accounts for 73002 trips, San Jose for 5135, Palo Alto for 1053, 1246 in Mountain View and 583 in Redwood City (through November). According to other articles, there are 350 bikes in SF, 130 in SJ and 50 in each of the three others.

    In terms of trips-per-bike, the results are as follows:

    NYC: ~660
    SF: 208
    SJ: 39
    Mountain View: 25
    Palo Alto: 21
    Redwood City: 12

    I understand that the design was a political decision, and not a functional one, but it’s frustrating to see almost the same amount of money spent on 10% of the service as on the other 90%. It seems likely that with some rearrangement, the system could double its usage (or more) at minimal cost.