Cigarette Butts, Extension Cords Possible Causes Of Chinatown Fire

San Francisco firefighters have been unable to determine what caused a one-alarm fire that damaged a souvenir kiosk in the city’s Chinatown neighborhood early this morning, a fire department spokeswoman said.

The blaze was reported at 3:02 a.m. at 802 Clay St., near Grant Street, and was extinguished about 15 minutes later, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

There were many extension cords and cigarette butts in the kiosk, and it is unclear whether the fire was sparked by an electrical problem or discarded smoking materials, Talmadge said.

The blaze caused an estimated $5,000 in damage to the kiosk and destroyed $1,000 in contents, she said.

No one was injured in the fire.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!