San Francisco health officials are alerting customers that an employee who handled food at a city shopping mall café was recently diagnosed with typhoid fever.
The San Francisco Department of Public Health announced today that anyone who ate at the Nordstrom Café at the Nordstrom department store at Stonestown Galleria, located at 285 Winston Dr., is at risk of contracting the bacterial disease.
Patrons who ate at the restaurant on April 16, 17, 18, 20 or 27 are advised to see a doctor right away if they start to experience fever, weakness, stomach pains, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or loss of appetite.
SF Issues Warning After Food Handler Diagnosed With Typhoid Fever At Mall [CBS5]
S.F. Nordstrom Cafe worker may have typhoid fever [Biz Times]
Nordstrom Cafe Food Handler Diagnosed With Typhoid Fever [Weekly]
Typhoid fever warning for Stonestown Nordstrom’s eaters [SFBG]
In some typhoid cases, a rash of flat, light-red spots may appear.
Health officials said typhoid fever is an illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi and is usually acquired by those traveling internationally.
In the U.S., there are as many as 400 cases each year of the illness. It is usually caught when someone eats food or drink contaminated by someone with typhoid fever, such as the case at the Nordstrom Café.
Death is uncommon, especially with antibiotic treatment. Those who suspect they have typhoid fever should make efforts to avoid spreading the illness.
Health officials said Nordstrom staff are cooperating with the health department’s investigation and is working on informing and protecting the public and their employees.
Sasha Lekach, Bay City News