Two horrific multiple murder cases in San Francisco intersected today in the same courtroom, where the suspects in the separate cases each saw their hearings delayed until later this year.
Wilfredo “Flaco” Reyes, 31, is one of two suspects accused in San Francisco Superior Court of fatally shooting a man and his two sons after mistaking them for rival gang members in the city’s Excelsior District in 2008.
Meanwhile, Binh Luc, 36, is accused of a grisly quintuple murder in the city’s Ingleside neighborhood last year.
Both Reyes and Luc appeared in the same courtroom within minutes of each other at the Hall of Justice this morning and each had their cases delayed until late July.
Prosecutors said Reyes and Edwin Ramos killed Anthony Bologna, 48, and his sons Michael and Matthew, ages 20 and 16, at the intersection of Congdon and Maynard streets on June 22, 2008.
Ramos was convicted in May 2012 of three counts of murder and other charges, then Reyes was found in North Carolina two months later and was arrested on similar counts.
The next hearing in Reyes’ case is being delayed until July 31 because the assistant district attorney who was previously handling the case, Harry Dorfman, was recently appointed a San Francisco Superior Court judge by Gov. Jerry Brown, prosecutors said.
Luc’s case is being delayed until July 30 because of the sheer amount of evidence to sift through in the murders of three women and two men at a home at 16 Howth St. near City College of San Francisco on March 23, 2012, defense attorneys said.
Police and prosecutors have not released a motive for the Howth Street murders and are seeking a blunt weapon and an edged weapon that were believed to have been used in the killings.
Reyes remains in custody on $5 million bail while Luc is in custody in lieu of $25 million bail.
Dan McMenamin, Bay City News