Space Heater Blamed For $1.7 Million Pac Heights Blaze

A three-alarm fire at a home in San Francisco’s Pacific Heights neighborhood earlier this week that caused more than $1.7 million in damage was caused by a space heater, a fire spokeswoman said today.

The cause of the fire that was reported at 10:50 a.m. Wednesday at a three-story home in the 2000 block of Vallejo Street has been determined to be accidental, spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

The blaze that started on the second floor was electrical and connected with a space heater.

The fire was extinguished just before noon.

The two residents—an elderly brother and sister—were displaced from the home. The American Red Cross is assisting the siblings to find temporary housing, Talmadge said.

One of the residents was home at the time of the fire but was able to escape safely, Talmadge said.

There was an estimated $1.5 million in damage to the house and $200,000 in damage to the home’s contents, Talmadge said.

A neighboring home was also affected by the fire and sustained $50,000 in damage, she said.

No injuries were reported.

Sasha Lekach, Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!