Man Accused Of Giants Celebration Muni Vandalism Expected In Court

A man arrested in connection with the destruction of a San Francisco Municipal Railway bus after the Giants’ World Series win is expected to return to court today for a preliminary hearing on charges of felony vandalism and willful tampering with a passenger transit vehicle.

Nicholas Hudson, 19, of Daly City, is one of several people accused of vandalizing and torching the 8X-Bayshore Express bus around 12:30 a.m. on Oct. 29, hours after the Giants had beaten the Detroit Tigers to clinch the World Series.

Police had initially arrested Hudson on suspicion of arson but prosecutors later declined to file that charge against him.

“Given the status of the evidence currently, what we have charged is what we feel we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt,” district attorney’s office spokesman Alex Bastian said.

Hudson pled not guilty to both counts on November 8, 2012.

At that time, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Richard Ulmer ordered Hudson held without bail because he was on probation for unrelated charges in San Mateo County at the time of his arrest. Deputy Public Defender Niki Solis had asked for Hudson to be released on his own recognizance, noting that no one was injured and that Hudson is currently employed in the construction industry.

Hudson’s bail was later reduced to 40,000. He is currently in custody.

Prosecutor Tinnetta Thompson said in November that Hudson is a documented Norteno gang member and was caught on a video breaking the driver’s side window of the Muni bus.

“It’s an egregious act,” Thompson said.

She said Hudson was part of a group that “stopped this bus in the middle of the street and destroyed it.”

There were eight passengers on the bus along with the bus driver when it was stopped. All nine got off the bus safely before it was destroyed, police said.

The bus cost $700,000 and had recently been renovated at an additional cost of $300,000, Muni spokesman Paul Rose said.

“The Giants winning the World Series is cause for celebration not destruction,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “The behavior of this defendant and others does not reflect on the character of this city.”

Two other suspects, Gregory Graniss and Adam Diaz, were also arrested in the attack on the bus. However, authorities say other suspects remain at large.

“We are asking for the public’s help and cooperation in tracking down the other perpetrators involved in the vandalism and arson of the Muni bus that evening,” Gascon said.

SFPD asks that anyone with information on this case call Inspector Jeff Levin of the SFPD at (415) 920-2944

the author

Eve Batey is the editor and publisher of the San Francisco Appeal. She used to be the San Francisco Chronicle's Deputy Managing Editor for Online, and started at the Chronicle as their blogging and interactive editor. Before that, she was a co-founding writer and the lead editor of SFist. She's been in the city since 1997, presently living in the Outer Sunset with her husband, cat, and dog. You can reach Eve at

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!