sffd_officials.jpgA fire in San Francisco’s Richmond District that displaced nine people and injured a firefighter on Sunday night appears to have been accidentally sparked by smoking materials, a fire department spokeswoman said today.

The two-alarm blaze was reported at 9:45 p.m. at a residential building in the 5600 block of California Street.

Firefighters responded and extinguished the fire by 10:31 p.m., fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

A firefighter suffered a minor hand injury while battling the blaze and was taken to a hospital, but has since been released, Talmadge said.

The fire caused an estimated $300,000 in damage to the building and $100,000 to its contents, she said.

The displaced residents all found other temporary housing and did not require assistance from the American Red Cross, Talmadge said.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!