sffd_firefighters.jpgA small fire that caused the evacuation of the fifth floor of the Westfield San Francisco Centre on Monday night was likely caused by a dirty flue at a mall restaurant, a fire department spokeswoman said today.

The one-alarm fire was reported at about 8:15 p.m. at the shopping center, located at 865 Market St.

The blaze started in a restaurant on the mall’s fourth floor and produced a large amount of smoke, prompting the evacuation of the fifth floor, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

No one was injured in the blaze, which was extinguished by about 8:40 p.m., Talmadge said.

The fire was determined to have started in a flue at the restaurant, and flue fires are often the result of a buildup of grease or other residue, according to Talmadge.

Fire officials this morning did not immediately have an estimate for the amount of damage caused by the fire.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!