sffd_fire.jpgA fatal fire at an apartment building in San Francisco last week apparently started in a kitchen and is believed to have been accidental, a fire department spokeswoman said today.

Roosevelt Watts, 78, died in the two-alarm fire, which was reported at 9:50 a.m. Wednesday at a three-story building at 65 Cleary Court near Laguna Street.

The blaze started in an apartment on the second floor and spread to a third-story unit, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

Investigators have not determined what sparked the fire, but have narrowed down the point of origin to the kitchen area, according to Talmadge.

Watts was in an apartment on the second floor, Talmadge said.

Two other men suffered smoke inhalation but declined to be taken to a hospital. One firefighter suffered a minor laceration, she said.

The blaze caused about $600,000 in damage — $500,000 to the structure of the building and $100,000 to its contents, Talmadge said.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!