sffd_firefighters.jpgA two-alarm fire that damaged a duplex in San Francisco’s Sunnyside neighborhood was apparently caused by a cigarette, a fire department spokeswoman said.

The fire was reported at 4:45 p.m. at 155 Hearst Ave. and spread to an adjoining unit at 151 Hearst Ave. before being extinguished at 5:17 p.m., fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

Investigators believe the blaze was sparked by a cigarette on the rear deck of 155 Hearst Ave., Talmadge said.

The fire displaced seven adults and two children, but no one was injured by the flames, according to Talmadge.

The fire caused an estimated $200,000 in damage to the building and $30,000 in damage to the contents of the two units, she said.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!