scott.mitchell.jpgA man accused of driving his car into a San Francisco Municipal Railway tunnel last month pleaded no contest Thursday to DUI charges, prosecutors said today.

Scott Mitchell, 40, of Sebastopol, was arrested on Jan. 19 after allegedly entering the Muni tunnel near Church and Duboce streets that morning, according to police.

The incident shut down underground Muni service through the tunnel for much of the morning.

Mitchell had initially pleaded not guilty to DUI charges, which included a special allegation that his blood alcohol level was above 0.15, which is nearly twice the legal limit.

However, he changed his plea to no contest at a pre-trial conference Thursday as part of a deal with prosecutors, district attorney’s office spokesman Omid Talai said.

The plea deal includes three years’ probation, nine months of DUI classes, 10 days of community service and various fees and fines, Talai said.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!
  • Greg Dewar

    Stupid DA pleads out another case instead of throwing the book at this guy, who cost Muni a lot of money and ruined a lot of people’s commutes. Typical SF!

  • Greg Dewar

    Stupid DA pleads out another case instead of throwing the book at this guy, who cost Muni a lot of money and ruined a lot of people’s commutes. Typical SF!

  • Soonerdiver

    He probably was tired of waiting on the MUNI to show up and took matters into his own hands… they’re never on time when you are in a hurry.

  • Soonerdiver

    He probably was tired of waiting on the MUNI to show up and took matters into his own hands… they’re never on time when you are in a hurry.