wave.jpgTap water in San Francisco and parts of the Peninsula may smell and taste a little funky, but San Francisco Public Utilities Commission officials said earlier this week that it is safe to drink.

The water department had received complaints from customers about water taste and odor, which stems from a naturally occurring algae bloom in a reservoir, officials said.

Officials are monitoring the algae levels and as of last week the algae bloom had diminished. Blooms are common during warmer weather. The treatment plant removes algae particles but algae produce compounds that impart temporary taste and odor to drinking water.

The water is safe and the algae bloom only impacts the water aesthetically, officials said.
For customers who want to remove the smell and taste they can use carbon and reverse osmosis filters. The department suggested refrigerating tap water to reduce any unpleasant smells and flavors.

Sasha Lekach, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!