sutroheightspark700.jpg

According to a report in the Richmond SF blog, area animals have been sickened after rat poison was spread in a popular destination for people and their dogs.

According to the report fram Sarah B., a volunteer at the Sutro Heights park has told visitors that an unknown person had “spread rat poison at various points in the grass at the park,” sickening a hawk and possibly a coyote.

Officials who oversee the park, which overlooks the Cliff House, near 48th and Point Lobos Aves, have reportedly urged people to avoid the park, and if they must visit, to keep dogs leashed.

A call to park officials placed by the Appeal was not returned at publication time.

If you suspect that your dog might have encountered rat poison, you should head to the vet immediately. Symptoms of ingestion of rat poison, which works by causing hemorrhaging in animals that eat it, include blood in the stool, urine and/or barf, bleeding under the skin, in the whites of the eyes, inside the eyes or other locations around the body.

With prompt treatment, however, it is not always fatal, so if you even think Spot was exposed, get going now.

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

the author

Eve Batey is the editor and publisher of the San Francisco Appeal. She used to be the San Francisco Chronicle's Deputy Managing Editor for Online, and started at the Chronicle as their blogging and interactive editor. Before that, she was a co-founding writer and the lead editor of SFist. She's been in the city since 1997, presently living in the Outer Sunset with her husband, cat, and dog. You can reach Eve at eve@sfappeal.com.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!
  • Groga

    Wow:)

  • Groga

    Wow:)