Pretrial motions are set to begin Tuesday in the case of an alleged MS-13 gang member accused in the 2008 fatal shootings of a father and his two sons in San Francisco’s Excelsior District, prosecutors said today.
Edwin Ramos, 24, was arrested three days after the killings of Tony Bologna, 48, and his sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, on June 22, 2008.
Ramos, an El Sobrante resident, has been charged with three counts of murder and multiple special allegations involving gang membership, firearm use and multiple murders.
The Bologna family had been driving from a family picnic in Fairfield to their home in the Excelsior when they came upon another car, allegedly driven by Ramos, at the intersection of Maynard and Congdon streets.
A surviving son in the car testified at Ramos’ preliminary hearing in 2009 that he saw Ramos flash a gun from inside the partly opened window of the car and begin “mugging” at them before shots were fired.
Ramos, who has pleaded not guilty to the charges, has admitted to driving the car but told investigators that another man inside the vehicle fired the shots.
Two other alleged MS-13 members had been wounded in a shooting in the Mission District earlier that day, and prosecutors have speculated that the Bolognas were mistaken for rival gang members.
Pretrial motions in the case are expected to begin Tuesday, with the selection of a jury expected in the next month or so, although a date has not yet been set, district attorney’s office spokesman Seth Steward said.
Dan McMenamin, Bay City News