A man was convicted earlier this week of a sexual assault in San Francisco’s Mission District on New Year’s Eve in 2009 and has also been charged in a separate, unrelated attack, prosecutors said today.
Juan Gomez, 23, was found guilty by a San Francisco Superior Court jury on Tuesday of sexually assaulting a 25-year-old woman just before midnight on Dec. 31, 2009.
Prosecutors said Gomez attacked a 25-year-old woman on 20th Street between South Van Ness Avenue and Shotwell Street.
A good Samaritan intervened and chased down Gomez after he ran away from the woman, and police officers arrested him shortly afterward.
The guilty verdict came after a two-week trial and three hours of deliberation by the jury.
As a result of the investigation into the case, a second woman has been identified as the victim of an attack by Gomez.
In September 2009, the 31-year-old victim was allegedly raped, assaulted and falsely imprisoned. Prosecutors said DNA evidence helped connect Gomez to the attack.
He is awaiting a preliminary hearing on the charges in that case.
Gomez will return to court to be sentenced on July 5. He faces a maximum sentence of eight years in state prison.
Dan McMenamin, Bay City News