policeblotter_sfa.jpgA man who turned himself in to San Francisco police last week in connection with a 1995 shooting that killed two people in the city’s Mission District pleaded not guilty to murder charges today, prosecutors and police said.

Douglas Cabrera, 33, surrendered to police on May 6 in connection with the fatal shooting of Vincent Betancourt and Ruben Solis in Garfield Park, located at the intersection of 25th and Harrison streets, on Dec. 20, 1995, police said.

Cabrera was considered a suspect in the initial investigation, but was never arrested by police in the months and years after the shooting, police Officer Albie Esparza said.

Esparza said he did not know why Cabrera decided to turn himself in to police.

Cabrera was arraigned in San Francisco Superior Court today on two counts of murder and pleaded not guilty to the charges, district attorney’s office spokesman Seth Steward said.

He was ordered held on $10 million bail, and will next return to court on May 24, Steward said.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!
  • tranimal00

    someone please explain to me the logic behind turning oneself in for a 16 year-old crime, and then pleading not-guilty…

    perhaps i’m missing something, but… wtf?

  • tranimal00

    someone please explain to me the logic behind turning oneself in for a 16 year-old crime, and then pleading not-guilty…

    perhaps i’m missing something, but… wtf?