An elementary school in San Francisco’s Balboa Terrace neighborhood was briefly evacuated today due to a small gas leak, a fire department spokeswoman said.
The leak was reported at about 11 a.m. at Commodore Sloat Elementary School at 50 Darien Way, San Francisco fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.
There was a strong smell of gas in a classroom, which prompted the evacuation of the entire school, Talmadge said.
PG&E was notified and responded to the school to shut off the gas. Authorities determined the smell had come from a boiler in the school’s heating system that was leaking, according to Talmadge.
After the problem was resolved, students were allowed to return to the school by about 11:45 a.m., Talmadge said.
No one was injured, she said.
Dan McMenamin, Bay City News