sffd_firefighters.jpg7:14 PM: A Boys and Girls Club building was reopened in San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury neighborhood this afternoon after being evacuated due to a strong smell of chlorine emanating from the organization’s basement earlier today, a fire spokeswoman said.

A wrong combination of chlorine mixed with muriatic acid caused strong gases to waft through the club located at 1950 Page St. at about 11:55 a.m., spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

The building was evacuated and a hazardous materials team was called to investigate the smell, Talmadge said.

Arriving crews quickly discovered there was no immediate threat to people in the building, and everyone was let back in at about 1:30 p.m., Talmadge said.

No injuries were reported.

1:10 PM: A Boys and Girls Club building in San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury neighborhood was evacuated late this morning after the strong smell of chlorine emanated from the organization’s basement, a firefighter said.

Chlorine potentially came in contact with some acid at about 11:55 a.m. causing possibly toxic clouds to waft through the club located at 1950 Page St., Firefighter Al Posey said.

The building was quickly evacuated and no injuries were reported, but it remains unclear when the Boys and Girls Club will be safe to enter again.

Investigators are still looking into the cause of the incident.

Saul Sugarman, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!