A piece of construction equipment apparently struck a 2-inch high-pressure transmission gas pipeline, PG&E spokeswoman Katie Romans said.
The leak prompted authorities to issue a precautionary shelter-in-place warning for Balboa High School at 1000 Cayuga Avenue and James Denman Middle School located at 241 Oneida Ave.
No injuries were reported, San Francisco fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.
Homes in the area were not affected by the shelter-in-place advisory but six PG&E customers have temporarily lost gas service, Romans said.
Service is expected to be restored by 10:45 a.m.
9:58 AM: A shelter-in-place order was in effect for two schools in San Francisco this morning as utility crews responded to a natural gas leak in the city’s Outer Mission neighborhood, a fire department spokeswoman said.
Just after 9 a.m., a 2-inch natural gas line ruptured near Balboa High School at 1000 Cayuga Avenue and James Denman Middle School located at 241 Oneida Ave., San Francisco Fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.
PG&E crews are at the scene and hope to have the leak capped by about 10 a.m., Talmadge said.
The fire department issued a precautionary shelter-in-place warning for the two schools while repairs were being made, Talmadge said.
Nearby homes and businesses were not affected by the shelter-in-place advisory, Talmadge said.