gavingiants.jpgWhen Alexis Cordova heard that the San Francisco Giants’ World Series trophy was going to be on display at City Hall today, he knew he had to get a photo with it.

Cordova was part of a stream of people who came to City Hall today to see the championship trophy, which is in town as part of a five-state tour that will stretch over the next few months.

For those who missed today’s viewing of the Commissioner’s Trophy, it will return to City Hall on Jan. 4 and 5, and then embark on a 30-stop tour around Northern California, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, and New York.

Cordova, 27, said he heard about the viewing on Twitter this morning “and ran out of my house” to see it.

He said he’s been a Giants fan his whole life and was overjoyed when the team beat the Texas Rangers to win the World Series, the team’s first since moving to San Francisco in 1958.

“It’s kind of a cliche, but I can die happy now,” he said.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom seconded that emotion, saying it’s “a real thrill for every Giants fan” to see the sterling silver trophy, which will be on tour from January to March.

After being brought back to San Francisco for the Giants’ home opener in April, the trophy will make a visit in May to New York, the original home of the team before it relocated 52 years ago.

Giants owner Bill Neukom said during the announcement of the trophy tour this morning that “we are proud and we are humbled at what the baseball team did for this community…and also proud of what the community has done for this team.”

Each stop on the tour will last about two hours, and fans will be able to come see the trophy for free on a first-come, first-served basis. Professional photos will be taken of each fan and available for purchase online.

Season ticket holders were given an early opportunity to get their photo taken with the trophy, but today’s event at City Hall was the first opportunity for the general public to see it.

Michael Lopez and his father Tony came out from Richmond after hearing about the viewing, and were among the first people in line to get their picture taken with the trophy.
The pair also traveled to City Hall for the victory parade and rally held on Nov. 3, two days after the Giants clinched the title.

Michael said he lost his voice from cheering on the night of the big win, which brought a happy ending to what his father described as a “stressful, torturous” season.

While some fans lost their voices that night, others like Peter Low lost their composure.
“I bawled like a baby,” Low said.

He said he has rooted for the team since the 1960s “when it cost a nickel on Muni and 75 cents for bleacher seats.”

He came out to today’s viewing sporting an orange Giants jacket and visor, and grinned widely when his picture was taken.

“This is something else,” he said.

The trophy was scheduled to stay at City Hall until 3 p.m. today,

and then will be taken to an undisclosed location until it returns on Jan. 4 and 5 for the official start of the tour.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

Want more news, sent to your inbox every day? Then how about subscribing to our email newsletter? Here’s why we think you should. Come on, give it a try.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!