The blaze was reported to the fire department at 12:21 a.m. and responders were on the scene at 1317 Bosworth St. two minutes later, fire dispatcher Beach said.
Because the impacted structure was a cottage behind a residence at that address, it took firefighters several minutes to find the fire before they could begin dousing it with water, Beach said.
A gas stove had somehow caught fire on the cottage’s first floor and the flames got into the building’s wall, climbing to the second floor, Beach said.
The two trucks, two engines, and battalion chief that responded to the one-alarm fire contained it by about 12:30 a.m., Beach said.
No one was injured in the fire.
The Red Cross was contacted to assist two people and a German Shepherd that were displaced, Beach said.
An initial damage estimate has not yet been determined.