Photos from the accident scene can be viewed here and here.10/8 9:18 AM: A bicyclist killed in a collision with a San Francisco Municipal Railway bus Thursday evening was identified today by the medical examiner’s office as 22-year-old Derek Allen.

According to police, Allen was biking north on Sixth Avenue between Geary Boulevard and Clement Street at about 5 p.m. when he collided with a Muni bus also traveling north.

The cause of the crash is still being investigated.

Initial reports from police indicated Allen may have crossed into the street in front of the bus, and the bus driver swerved but was unable to avoid him.

The bus driver appeared to have been shaken by the crash and was cooperating with the investigation, police said.

The driver was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation into the crash, per Muni’s standard procedure.

Investigators are still working to confirm where Allen resided, the medical examiner’s office said.

10/7 10:13 PM: A bicyclist was killed Thursday evening in a collision with a San Francisco Municipal Railway bus in the city’s inner Richmond District, a police spokesman said.

Police received reports of the collision at 4:59 p.m. at Sixth Avenue and Clement Street, Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.

Responding officers found the bicyclist unresponsive, and he was pronounced dead at the scene, Andraychak said.

Police have not released the man’s identify but have reported he was a white man in his late 20s. He was riding a road-style bicycle that became trapped under the bus after the collision.

The bus that collided with the bicyclist was traveling north on the 44-O’Shaughnessy line, according to officials.

The bicyclist was also going north and contacted the front right corner of the bus, according to police.

Police said the driver appeared to have been shaken by the collision and was cooperating with officials.

The bus operator will be suspended pending an investigation into the accident, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency spokesman Paul Rose said.

The bus was towed and is being inspected for possible mechanical defects, police said.

Inbound service on the 44-O’Shaughnessy line was rerouted from Geary Boulevard to Seventh Avenue to California Street for about three hours after the crash, the SFMTA said.

Outbound service was rerouted from Clement Street to Seventh Avenue to Geary Boulevard.

Janna Brancolini/Patricia Decker Bay City News

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!