Several victims of the massive explosion, which happened at about 6:15 p.m. Thursday evening at Skyline Boulevard and San Bruno Avenue, have not been able to get past barricades and see if their homes are even standing.
City Manager Connie Jackson said at a town hall meeting today that residents will be allowed back into their homes depending on the extent of the damage.
The 2 p.m. meeting was held at St. Robert’s Catholic Church at 1380 Crystal Springs Road.
Homes that have been completely destroyed will remain off-limits, while other residents whose houses have sustained moderate damage may only be allowed back to collect some belongings.
Some residents may be allowed to re-occupy their homes, Jackson said.
She said officials have used a tagging system that specified the extent of the damage of each home.
As of Friday evening, San Bruno fire Chief Dennis Haag said 37 homes had been destroyed by the explosion and eight had sustained moderate damage.
Jackson said an announcement will be made to media outlets Sunday morning at an unspecified time with more information about letting residents back to their homes.