The beginning of a long recovery continued this morning for the victims of Thursday’s explosion and fire in San Bruno, as a neighborhood street reopened, community meetings got under way and hospitalized burn victims continued to rehabilitate.
Eight fire victims remain hospitalized at San Francisco General Hospital and Saint Francis Memorial Hospital.
A man in his 50s who suffered serious burns remains in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital, spokeswoman Rachael Kagan said. Two women who suffered from smoke inhalation are in serious condition, and a fourth woman who suffered burns is in fair condition.
Four burn victims recovering at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital remain in serious but stable condition, hospital spokeswoman Abbie Yant said.
Vehicle access to the impacted neighborhood improved as San Bruno city officials announced that Sneath Lane, which had been closed since Thursday, reopened to the public at about 1 a.m. today.
A public meeting to discuss ongoing federal and state investigations of the disaster is scheduled for 8 p.m. tonight at the Church of the Highlands, located at 1900 Monterey Drive in San Bruno.
The meeting will include representatives from the National Transportation Safety Board, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, the city of San Bruno and the California Public Utilities Commission.
U.S. Rep. Jackie Speier, D-San Mateo, and state Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Mateo/San Francisco, are expected to attend.
A separate meeting for residents who were still not allowed to return home Sunday got under way this morning at the San Bruno Senior Center.
Residents of 84 households were not allowed to return to their homes because the structures had been destroyed, extensively damaged or were located within a police perimeter that encompasses the zone closest to the blast site, according to the city.
Chris Cooney, Bay City News