10:58 AM: The smell of gas this morning prompted the evacuation of a San Bruno elementary school near the site of last week’s deadly explosion and fire, but it appears to be a false alarm, a PG&E spokesman said.
Sometime between 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m., the smell of gas was reported at Portola Elementary School, and school staff immediately notified PG&E, San Bruno Park School District coordinator Cheryl Peruchetti said.
PG&E spokesman Jeff Smith said crews responded and “the initial indication is there is no evidence of a gas leak.”
Additional crews have been brought in to verify that assessment, and PG&E is encouraging “all folks to stay a safe distance from the area” while the investigation continues.
As a precaution, students and staff at Portola, located at 300 Amador Ave., were evacuated and taken to Parkside Intermediate School, Peruchetti said.
Parents can pick up their children in the cafeteria at Parkside, located at 1801 Niles Ave.
Peruchetti said classes have been canceled for the day at Portola, which is less than a mile from the site of the Sept. 9 explosion and fire that killed four people and injured more than 50 others.
Thirty-seven homes were destroyed in the disaster and another 19 sustained substantial damage, according to San Bruno officials.
10:11 AM: An elementary school in San Bruno near the site of last week’s deadly explosion and fire has been evacuated due to a potential gas leak, according to the school’s website.
Students and staff at Portola Elementary School, located at 300 Amador Ave., were evacuated this morning and are being taken to Parkside Intermediate School, the website said.
Parents can pick up the students in the cafeteria at Parkside, located at 1801 Niles Ave.
A PG&E spokesperson was not immediately available to comment on the incident.
Dan McMenamin, Bay City News