muni_driver.jpgA man was fatally struck in San Francisco this evening by a bus operated by the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, police said.

The man has not been identified, Lt. Kevin McNaughton said, but believed to be about 24 years old. Police responded about 6:20 p.m. to a report he had been struck, McNaughton said.

The man’s body was still lying in the street about 7 p.m. covered by a blanket. His black shoes with white laces, which he was still wearing, were left exposed from the blanket just in front of the crosswalk at Market Street and South Van Ness Avenue. Blood trailed from his body onto the pavement.

The 47-South Van Ness Muni bus was parked some feet away from the man. Blood was on the flap located behind the right front wheel of the bus.

Joe Kimbro, a witness who was riding the bus at the time of the accident, said he saw the man lunge in front of the bus as it drove toward the bus stop on South Van Ness Avenue.
“He meant to do what he did. He dove,” Kimbro said. He was sitting in a disabled seat in the bus when the accident happened.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!
  • prosper

    I was on the Haight bus that was letting off passengers at Van Ness and Market when the incident happened. A man on our bus said he saw the person lunge towards the other bus driving along Van Ness. All I heard was an unfamiliar loud yet hollow noise like the popping of a large container. Then there was stillness and silence. The police woman drove up to the scene and how horrid for her, there was a terrible sight. A man in the street lying quiet. Life gone.Blood on the road. I feel sorry for the poor man. From the bus window I thought I saw bright white sneakers on his lifeless feet. They were so white and clean. They looked brand new. If there is peace to rest in, may he find it. New shoes. No life. How sad.

  • Erik

    If we put a safety net across the front of every bus stop then this wouldn’t happen.