haightfire.jpgAn investigation of the 1366 Haight Street fire is complete and confirms that the cause of the fire was accidental. Lt. Mindy Talmadge said that the fire caused $250,000 in property damage and $20,000 in contents damage.

Says a resident of the building, “the apartments in the back of the building are totaled, but our apartment and the ones below us are OK. The hallway looks like a chimney with wet carpet,” adding that they’d were able to return to their apartment “as soon as they fix all our windows the fire dept smashed out.”

Talmadge verified that only one person was displaced by the fire: a burn victim who was sent to St. Francis Memorial Hospital late last night.

Talmadge could not confirm that the cause of the fire was, as reported by a witness, an explosion caused by the victim’s oxygen tank, saying only that the fire was ‘accidental.’

While Talmadge did not have any information on the victim’s current condition, a neighbor said, “I don’t think he survived–hope he makes it but word is that he didn’t.”

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!