muni_generic.jpgPreviously: Normal Muni Metro Service Resumes After Castro Station Death, Man Dies After Being Pinned Between Two Muni Buses, Run Over By One

Two San Francisco Municipal Railway trains were involved in a minor accident in the Outer Sunset neighborhood tonight, a Muni spokeswoman said.

The crash involved two L-Taraval light-rail vehicles just before 8:30 p.m. near the intersection of 46th Avenue and Vicente Street, Muni spokeswoman Kristen Holland said.

Both trains were in service, but no one was injured in the crash and it did not have a major effect on service, she said.

Holland did not immediately have further details and said the cause of the crash is under investigation.

The accident comes on the heels of two fatal crashes involving Muni that happened today and Wednesday.

At about 4:48 p.m. today, a man was struck and killed by a train at the Castro station, police Officer Samson Chan said. The crash prompted a three-hour closure of the station as police conducted their investigation.

Muni provided substitute bus service during the evening commute.

Chan said police are reviewing surveillance video from the station as well as witness statements to determine and official cause of the crash.

Police are also continuing to probe a fatal crash involving a pedestrian and two Muni buses on Mission Street in downtown Wednesday.

Scott Whitsett, 49, of San Francisco, was hit at about 11 a.m. near the intersection of Mission and Beale streets, just outside the LexisNexis office where he had worked for more than 12 years.

San Francisco Municipal Transportation Authority Executive Director Nathaniel Ford issued a statement of condolence today on behalf of Muni, offering “our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Scott Whitsett who died after the tragic accident yesterday morning involving two Muni buses and Mr. Whitsett.”

According to police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza, Whitsett stepped out into the street after one Muni bus had passed him and stopped at the traffic light at Mission and Beale streets, when a second bus struck him and then the back of the first bus.

“It’s still an ongoing investigation,” Esparza said today. “We did request (surveillance) video from the buses. We’re still reviewing those and analyzing them, to see what’s been captured.”

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!