The city of San Francisco today will file a lawsuit against the owners of the Suede nightclub, where a deadly shooting occurred in February and where police say they have responded to many other violent incidents.
The city’s Entertainment Commission last month ordered the club’s permit suspended for 30 days following testimony by police, residents and nearby businesses about several incidents in the past 14 months at or near the club, located at 383 Bay St. near Fisherman’s Wharf.
The complaints included assaults, overcrowding and unruly crowds, inadequate security, noise and alcohol violations.
Early on the morning of Feb. 7, 44 shots were fired outside the club, killing one man and injuring four others. Police have said the shooting was prompted by gang tensions in the city of Richmond.
According to police, Suede is one of the most problematic clubs in the city, but entertainment commissioners at the March 31 hearing said they were unable under their current rules to permanently revoke the club’s permit for such violations.
Board of Supervisors President David Chiu, in whose district Suede sits, has since called for legislation to bolster the commission’s enforcement authority.
Chiu is expected to join City Attorney Dennis Herrera, police and members of the Entertainment Commission later this morning to announce the lawsuit, according to the city attorney’s office.