Police-Line-Tape-Do-Not-Cross-psd6657.pngPreviously: SFPD Looking Into Death Of Jailed Man

Elsewhere: ‘Combative’ S.F. inmate who died is identified Chron

The San Francisco medical examiner’s office today identified a man who died shortly after being booked into the county jail on Sunday as 43-year-old Earl Brown Jr.

Brown was arrested at 10:35 a.m. Sunday and had been booked into jail at 1 p.m. on three counts of battery on a police officer, drug possession, trespassing, resisting arrest and criminal threats, sheriff’s department spokeswoman Eileen Hirst said.

Hirst said Brown “became very agitated and combative” during the booking process, and was placed in a safety cell. When deputies checked on him less than two minutes later, Brown was found to be unresponsive, she said.

Sheriff’s deputies performed CPR and paramedics were called, but attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, Hirst said. Brown was pronounced dead at about 5:50 p.m.

Police spokesman Officer Boaz Mariles said Brown had been arguing with patrons and storeowners at a cafe in the 2200 block of Market Street and refused to leave.

When police tried to remove him, Brown resisted and grappled with the officers, Mariles said. One officer was bitten and two other officers were also injured in the fray.

Brown was found to have methamphetamine on him, Mariles said.

Paramedics medically cleared Brown twice while in police custody before he was processed at the Mission police station and before he was booked into jail, according to Mariles.

The medical examiner’s office has not yet determined the cause of his death. The office has also not determined Brown’s address.

Hirst said Monday that Brown’s death did not appear to have been a suicide.

Police, the medical examiner’s office and the sheriff’s department are each conducting their own investigations, Hirst said.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!