Previously: Photo Gallery: One Dead, Four Injured In Shooting Outside Wharf-Area Bar, Club That Hosted Fatal Weekend Shooting Temporarily Closing

Elsewhere: Patrol Specials Identify Officer Who Shot Suspect in Nightclub Gun Battle SF Weekly, Richmond man IDd as S.F. shooting suspect Chron, S.F. suspends club where shootout happened Chron

San Francisco police today released the name of the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting outside a nightclub near Fisherman’s Wharf early Sunday.

The suspect, 19-year-old (Police initially said the suspect’s age was 20.
Today, police said Davis is 19. ) Keandre Davis, of Richmond, was shot by a patrol special police officer, police spokeswoman Lt. Lyn Tomioka said. He suffered gunshot wounds to both legs and was hospitalized.

Davis was subsequently arrested and booked on suspicion of homicide, possession of a dangerous weapon, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a loaded firearm in public, Tomioka said.

The shooting occurred at about 1:40 a.m. outside the Suede nightclub at 383 Bay St.
A crowd had gathered outside and Davis and a second male suspect allegedly began shooting at several people who had just left the club, Tomioka said.

Lawon Marshawn Hall, 19, of Richmond, was hit and was fatally wounded. Three other male victims were shot and hospitalized but are expected to survive, Tomioka said.

The patrol special officer, whose name has not been released, confronted both shooting suspects, Tomioka said.

“When he ordered them to drop their weapons, they refused,” Tomioka said. The officer then engaged both men with gunfire, she said.

Patrol special police are community police officers who are chartered separately from the San Francisco Police Department but operate under its supervision.

The second suspect, described as a black male about 6 feet 3 inches tall and 175 pounds with black dreadlocks, was last seen running north on Mason Street, Tomioka said. He was wearing a white and tan hooded sweatshirt.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the Police Department’s confidential tip line at (415) 575-4444 or text a tip to TIP411.

Police are investigating the possibility that an argument that began inside the club and spilled outside may have prompted the shooting. They are also investigating whether the shooting was related to an overflow crowd at a nearby hotel.

Some witnesses have been uncooperative, police said.

The shooting had some city officials calling for the club’s closure, citing previous incidents in the neighborhood.

On Monday, the club management agreed to a temporary 30-day closure, according to the mayor’s office.

Photo: Mark Grissom

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!