Realtors, Police & Firefighters, Gov’t Employees, a Pornographer and a Journalist
The list of potential successors to Mayor Gavin Newsom’s Room 200 throne is crowded, at least unofficially; officially, it’s all Bevan Dufty, all the time.
The Castro District supervisor is the only officially-declared candidate, and he spent 2009 actively fundraising, raking in over $101,000 in donations from individuals (no PACs or committees yet, folks, but wait until 2011).
Just who were those individuals? Readers can see for themselves at the Ethics Commission campaign finance database, (here’s a link to a PDF), The Appeal leafed through the entire 150-page-plus filing, and here’s what we found.
- No less than 47 realtors
- About a dozen police officers, including former Bayview district Captain Rick Bruce;
- Several firefighters, including John Hanley, president of Local 798 firefighters’ union;
- Kink.com founder and Mission District sexy dungeon master Peter Acworth
- Assemblywoman Fiona Ma, City Treasurer Jose Ciseneros, Port of San Francisco Director Monique Moyer, staffers from the Planning Department, the Sheriff’s Department, and the SF Municipal Transportation Agency
- The Building Owners and Managers Association’s Ken Cleaveland, Steve Falk and Jim Lazarus from the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce
- Merchants and business owners from Hot Cookie, the Dolores Park Cafe, Chaps Bar
- Tech reporter Barry Owen, who’s in the employ of the Dow Jones Corporation
Most of Dufty’s supporters aren’t much of a surprise: he’s long been realtor-friendly and a pro-police and pro-fire vote on the Board of Supervisors.
With that money, Dufty’s been busy — he’s spent almost $21,000 on the services of former Obama campaigner Steve Hildebrand, who’s “kicked my ass to get me fundraising,” Dufty told us. He’s also helped his friend, Mayor Gavin Newsom — according to campaign filings, he purchased $935.00 worth of office equipment from the Newsom for California Committee.
What was it?
We called Dufty campaign coordinator Nima Eslamieh to find out (and to see if we can sell him this bullshit Ikea desk we’ve hated since we bought it). We’ll post back when we find out.