Know anything else? Let us know.
9:54 AM (BCN): Pacific Gas & Electric Co. crews are repairing an underground cable in San Francisco’s Financial District after firefighters responded a report of smoke coming out of a manhole early this morning, a utility spokesman said.
The fire department received a call at about 6 a.m. reporting smoke pouring out of a manhole at Battery and Pine streets, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said. Fire crews responded but turned the incident over to PG&E since there was no actual fire, she said.
PG&E spokesman Joe Molica said an underground power cable had failed, causing the smoke. No customers lost power, and utility crews are working at the intersection to repair the cable.
The intersection is open, although crews may be working in one lane on Battery Street, Molica said.
7:33 AM: PG&E is saying that initial reports suggest that “a cable failed” which “produced a little smoke.” They expect the area to remain a work site (that is, a big PG&E truck and workers are in the line of traffic), but all streets have been reopened.
7:05 AM: KCBS is reporting that “a preliminary report indicates an underground electrical transformer was overheating”
6:51 AM (BCN): San Francisco firefighters this morning are responding to an underground fire in the city’s Financial District, a dispatcher said.
Firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming from a manhole at the intersection of Battery and Pine streets just before 6 a.m., according to the San Francisco Fire Department.
A preliminary report indicates an underground electrical transformer was overheating, the dispatcher said.
The intersection at Battery and Pine streets has been closed to traffic.